San Diego shooting LIVE: Trump comments on horror mosque attack as 3 men killed

Imam Taha Hassane of the Islamic Center spoke to press and said that the centre is "a house of worship, not a battlefield".
"Muslims and non-Muslims alike have always been welcome at the Islamic Center," he added.
He said that the Muslim community is mourning and requested the media to stop sharing pictures of victims due to respect.
He ended the press conference urging people to spread a culture of love and tolerance.

Hate rhetoric is being investigated after a note was found by the mother of one of the suspects.
Wahl says he wants to clarify that "there was no specific threat, especially no specific threat to the Islamic centre".
"It was general hate speech that covered a wide gamut," he says of the letter that the suspect's mother found.
He added that the letter contained "generalised hate rhetoric and hate speech," not specific to any religion or location.
Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18, have been identified by police as the suspects in today’s shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego.
Previously, officials said the suspects died of self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
It was earlier said by police that the suspects were 17 and 19.
The police are examining anti-Islamic writings found in the car where police found the deceased suspects.
The mosque’s director, Imam Taha Hassane, called it “extremely outrageous to target a place of worship”.
“All the places of worship in our beautiful city should always be protected,” he said.
Police are still at the scene. During the press conference, they said they will release more details in two hours.

Police also added the bodies of the suspects were found in a car near the mosque.
The suspects were teenagers, police also said.
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said two suspects are dead. He also added three people died at the Islamic Centre. The incident is currently being treated as hate crime.
San Diego Police are due to issue a statement soon.
CBS News said that one of two suspects in a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego is dead.
Reports also indicate at least three people died. San Diego Police have not shared details yet.
Sharp Memorial Hospital is receiving patients related to the shooting, a spokesperson told the BBC.
Alicia Cook, spokesperson for Sharp HealthCare, said: "Reports indicate multiple injured people.
"Our disaster procedures have been activated and we are coordinating with the County of San Diego and other resources to respond to the incident."
Schools near the mosque were placed on lockdown as the incident was unfolding.
A reunification location was established for parents to meet the schools' pupils after the end of the lockdown.
A security guard is reported to have been killed. San Diego Police have not confirmed the reports yet, the Daily Express understands.
Police confirmed there is "no ongoing threat," San Diego mayor said in another update shared on X.
Children at a school based on the centre's campus were evacuated.
Here is another photo showing police vehicles and officers at the scene.

The Islamic Center is the largest mosque in San Diego County, according to its website. The campus includes the Al Rashid School, which the website says offers courses in Arabic language, Islamic studies and the Quran.

NYPD "out of an abundance of caution," is increasing deployments to mosques across the city.
The NYPD is closely monitoring reports of an active shooter at the Islamic Center of San Diego.
While there is currently no known nexus to NYC or specific threats to NYC houses of worship, out of an abundance of caution, the NYPD is increasing deployments to mosques across the\u2026
— NYPD NEWS (@NYPDnews) May 18, 2026
Here is the latest message from the police.
The threat at the Islamic center has been neutralized. Media staging has been established as the Northwest Corner of Lindbergh Park.
(4141 Ashford Street, SD, Ca, 92111)#SDPDPIO
\u2014 San Diego Police Department (@SanDiegoPD) May 18, 2026
The mayor is urging residents to avoid the area. Here is the message he shared on X.
I am aware of the active shooter situation at the Islamic Center of San Diego in Clairemont and am continuing to receive updates from law enforcement. Emergency personnel are on scene and actively working to protect the community and secure the area.
\u2014 San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria (@MayorToddGloria) May 18, 2026
San Diego Police said they believe "people have been shot".
Officer Anthony Carrasco said people reported multiple shots at the Islamic Center of San Diego, about 9 miles (14 km) north of downtown San Diego.
People are being warned to avoid the area. Police also said they have "significant resources" at the scene.
The scene is "active but contained," police also added.
The scene at 7050 Eckstrom Ave is still active but contained. We have significant resources on scene at this time.
We have established a reunification location at 4125 Hathaway Street, SD, CA 92111 #SDPDPIO
\u2014 San Diego Police Department (@SanDiegoPD) May 18, 2026
San Diego Police issued the following update.
SDPD is on scene at the Islamic Center of San Diego in the 7000 block of Eckstrom Ave for a reported active shooter.
Please avoid the area. Updates to follow. #SDPDPIO
\u2014 San Diego Police Department (@SanDiegoPD) May 18, 2026
California Governor Gavin Newsom has been briefed on the active shooter situation, his press office said in a statement.
His office said: “We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities."

The Mayor of San Diego, Todd Gloria, said he was aware of an active shooter situation at a mosque located in the Claremont area.
He added emergency services were at the scene and were working to protect the community.
The San Diego Police Department (SDPD) issued a first statement on the incident reported at the Islamic Center of San Diego.
Shared on X, it read: "SDPD is on scene at the Islamic Center of San Diego in the 7000 block of Eckstrom Ave for a reported active shooter. Please avoid the area. Updates to follow."
SDPD is on scene at the Islamic Center of San Diego in the 7000 block of Eckstrom Ave for a reported active shooter.
Please avoid the area. Updates to follow. #SDPDPIO
\u2014 San Diego Police Department (@SanDiegoPD) May 18, 2026
Welcome to our live blog. We'll bring you the latest on the situation at the San Diego Islamic Center.
Daily Express






