American tests positive for Ebola virus amid outbreak in Congo and Uganda: CDC

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Monday that one American has tested positive for Ebola as part of their work in Congo, where there is an outbreak of a rare strain of the virus, but advised that the immediate risk in the U.S. was low.
The CDC did not name the individual, but the Serge Christian mission organization said one of its medical missionaries, Dr. Peter Stafford, was exposed while treating patients at Nyankunde Hospital.
"The person developed symptoms over the weekend and tested positive late Sunday," Dr. Satish Pillai, the incident manager for the agency's Ebola response, told reporters on a media call.
The CDC is working with the U.S. State Department to move the American to Germany for treatment and care, Pillai said, adding that six other people who were exposed were also being moved to Germany.
The news comes as medical personnel rush to the front lines of a new Ebola outbreak in eastern Congo, where late detection of the virus and quick spread have alarmed health experts. There have been 105 suspected deaths and 393 suspected cases, the Congo Health Cluster said on Monday.

The Serge organization said Stafford was one of three missionaries, including his wife, who were caring for patients but that the other two remain asymptomatic.
The CDC is deploying technical experts from its headquarters in Atlanta to the outbreak area, Pillai said.
The U.S. is also working to develop a monoclonal antibody therapy as a potential treatment for this strain of Ebola, he said, with the work taking place in the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, known as BARDA.
CDC issues travel restrictionsThe CDC also issued an order earlier on Monday suspending the entry of travellers to the U.S. who have departed from, or were present in, Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan during the past 21 days, regardless of their country of origin, it said in a statement.
The measures will not apply to U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents, members of the U.S. military, government personnel overseas, their spouses, and children, according to the order, which is in effect for 30 days.
Other exemptions include individuals who customs officers determine should be excepted from the order, and non-citizens who it would apply to but are approved to enter by the Department of Homeland Security.
"The risk of Bundibugyo (Ebola) virus disease introduction into the United States is heightened by the virus' incubation period, which can extend up to 21 days, allowing infected individuals to travel internationally while asymptomatic and therefore unlikely to be detected through routine symptom-based screening measures," the CDC said.
The agency said it would also screen and monitor travellers arriving from areas affected by Ebola outbreaks in the region and ramp up contact tracing, laboratory testing capacity and hospital readiness nationwide. It will also co-ordinate with airlines and port-of-entry officials to identify and manage travellers who may have been exposed to the virus.
Pillai said the U.S. government was still working on its final plans for FIFA World Cup athletes from Congo and international travel hubs. Houston is serving as the host site for the Congo team during the World Cup, which begins next month, and several U.S. cities will be hosting other teams.
The CDC will continue to deploy personnel to support outbreak containment efforts in affected regions, it said.
cbc.ca



